A high-engagement integrated campaign to launch the new BMW 3 series.
We were asked to launch the all-new BMW 3 Series Touring on the Swedish market. As the strategically most important car model of BMW, the 3 Series defines the brand as it leads the way for the rest of the model range. It is also the model that accounts for the largest part of BMW’s sales. Our goal was to get people to spend as much time as possible with the brand.
BMW is one of the most desirable car brands. But it’s not alone in the market for premium cars. Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, Jaguar and Lexus – they are all after the same drivers. How do you build an icon brand in one of the toughest businesses there are? The key creative challenge was to create brand preference by engaging people.
The BMW target group are prone to like new stimulation and newsiness. They are competitive and like to be the first with everything. Thus, we gave them a way to experience the possibility to reach that scenario of being first, both from a competitive perspective, but also from a technological perspective.
Since the 3 Series shows the path for the rest of the BMW model range and its competitors, we created the concept The Pathfinder. In a nationwide treasure hunt, Sweden's first BMW 3 Series Touring was hidden digitally on Google Maps. The one who, within a timeframe of three weeks, found the car, won it.
We made it easier to search for the car by dividing Sweden into 180 million squares so that you could see where you have been. As clues, we placed blue pathfinders on the map at intervals that created a path to where the car was hidden. Over time, we reduced the search area by gradually eliminating parts of Sweden. The car was found after 10 intense days.
- Owned: BMW site, newsletter, invoices, showrooms, dealer forums.
- Earned: The ten most influential bloggers in Sweden, public relations to the trade press.
- Bought: Ads, TVC, Facebook-ads, Gowiral.
Proof of effectiveness:
- By moderating all the player's questions and comments, we succeeded in creating a socially engaging platform on both Facebook and other forums.
- 48.000 unique people visited the campaign site. And the players spent on average 3.5 hours with the brand searching for the car.
- On a long-term basis, Jung von Matt has successfully grown the BMW brand on the Swedish market with average annual growth rate of 7 percent.